The Object of Rotary
To encourage and foster the ideal of service as a basis of worthy enterprise and, in particular to encourage and foster:
- The development of acquaintance as an opportunity for service.
- High ethical standards in business and professions, the recognition of the worthiness of all useful occupations and the dignifying by each Rotarian of his or her occupation as an opportunity to serve society.
- The application of the ideal service by every Rotarian to his or her personal, business and community life.
- The advancement of international understanding, goodwill and peace through a world fellowship of business and professional people united in the ideal of service.
The Four-Way Test
Followed by Rotarians worldwide in their business and professional lives, the Four-Way Test was created by Rotarian Herbert J Taylor in 1932 (pictured). It has since been translated into more than 100 languages.
- Is it the TRUTH?
- Is it FAIR to all concerned?
- Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
- Will it be beneficial to all concerned?
Simple but effective, it is not necessarily an examination but rather a purely subjective form of self-analysis.